The love you have for your wife should be marked by giving not getting. Move toward her to serve and give not consume. Here are 3 Ways to Love Your wife like Christ loved the church.
Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her – Ephesians 5:25
- Be A Servant – The servant is the greatest model of Christ’s love for us. Guys you are the chief foot washer in your family. After Jesus washed his disciples feet He said – “I’ve laid down a pattern for you. What I’ve done, you do. I’m only pointing out the obvious. A servant is not ranked above his master; an employee doesn’t give orders to the employer. If you understand what I’m telling you, act like it—and live a blessed life.” John 13:12-17 MSG Guys if you truly understand and believe this, “act like it – and live a blessed life.”
- Be Compassionate and Understanding – Jesus had compassion on everyone He interacted with. He showed concern and understanding. “Be good husbands to your wives. Honor them, delight in them. As women they lack some of your advantages. But in the new life of God’s grace, you’re equals. Treat your wives, then, as equals so your prayers don’t run aground” – 1 Peter 3:6-8 MSG
- Be Willing to Sacrifice – Jesus was willing to sacrifice everything. You must be willing to sacrifice time and words. She needs to know she is a priority, you show this with the sacrifice of your time, words and energy. I have learned every relationship has to start with sacrifice. Jesus started it with the sacrifice of His life on a cross. The way you sacrifice for her is to give up something that you want to serve her. This is the tough one guys, but you will be amazed at how God will bless you and your family through your sacrifice. You must start it daily with the sacrifice of serving her first.
- You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind – Matthew 22:36
- You shall love your neighbor as yourself – Matthew 22:39 (Your Wife is your 1st Neighbor, Your kids are 2nd)
Husbands, go all out in your love for your wives, exactly as Christ did for the church—a love marked by giving, not getting. Christ’s love makes the church whole. His words evoke her beauty. Everything he does and says is designed to bring the best out of her, dressing her in dazzling white silk, radiant with holiness. And that is how husbands ought to love their wives. They’re really doing themselves a favor—since they’re already “one” in marriage. Ephesians 5:25-28