Most couples are looking for the big things that will create change and enjoyment, but it is usually the small things that build and create connection. A small, sweet gesture can go a long way toward making your spouse feel loved. When we feel loved it makes us happy and creates a desire to reciprocate kindness toward our spouse. Here are five small things that you can do daily that will help you grow toward each other.
- Bring coffee or breakfast in bed – The principle is – severe each other. You may not have the opportunity to bring something to them in bed, but you can serve them at night or at a meal. I am convinced that Jesus was right – the greatest is the servant.
- Go to bed at the same time, even if you don’t stay there – When one of you goes to bed, the other one climbs into bed to cuddle for a few moments. Even if one of you gets up afterward, it’s a way to always connect after a long day.
- Hold hands – A recent study showed that holding hands lessened stress. Take the time the time to show affection, interest and priority. Hold hands in the car, as you walk into the store or as you are watching TV together. The wonderful connection of touch is so vital.
- Ask Questions – I know this sounds odd, but couples need a playful way to understand each others hopes, joys and struggles. Learn to ask playful questions that create connection. The key is playful. You are not trying to interrogate just learn from each other and laugh. Here are a couple examples, but don’t stop with these, try to ask more.
- What is your favorite outfit?
- If you could have a meal with anyone past or present, who would it be?
- What is your favorite time of day for lovemaking?
- Anything else that is playful and helps you to understand each better
- Remember to say thank you – I know this seems small and simple but you would be surprised at how often couples fail to show appreciation. Take the time to give each other positive recognition and gratitude.
Each day look for the small things that you can do each day to show attention, affection and approval.