Every marriage has these three areas – Chemistry, Companionship and Commitment. Learn to intentionally strengthen them together.
- Chemistry – This is attraction, that indescribable pull to the other person that is different for every couple.
- Action Point – Kissing – You need to kiss more. Learn to kiss and touch in non-sexual ways daily. One German study found that men who kiss their wives every day live five years longer than the men who didn’t
- Companionship – This is simply friendship. Your partner should be your best friend.
- Action point – Establish a time each week to spend quality time together – then guard that time with your lives. 88% of happy couples have a weekly date night.
“It is when we are doing things together that friendship springs up — painting, sailing ships, praying, philosophizing, and fighting shoulder to shoulder. Friends look in the same direction.” C. S. Lewis
- Commitment – This should come from your faith and character. It is the the glue that keeps you together when chemistry and companionship seem weak. Commitment provides safety and the ability to strengthen and soothe one another during the stress and struggles life brings.
- Action Point – Forgiveness is the cornerstone of commitment. You have to be willing to forgive and hang on to that forgiveness as you rebuild trust.
Loving each other for a lifetime means continuing courtship and never taking it for granted.